Windy City Wonderment: Chicago’s Wrigley Mansion
With Chicago entering the region’s notorious time of year when the cold forces everyone in doors for the next few months, Lincoln Park has an opportunity for 15,000 square feet of “shelter” to better escape the elements.
A piece of Chicago architectural history in the form of the Italian Rennaissance/Arts & Crafts-esque Theurer-Wrigley House, or Wrigley Mansion, has reentered the market after a two year hiatus. Designed by architect Richard Schmidt and built in 1896 for Schoenhofen Brewing Company owner Joseph Theurer, the monolith was later owned and occupied by the city’s famed Wrigley family.
The $8.695 million listing features a four-story main house comprised of 11 bedrooms, six full baths, three half-baths, park and lagoon views, and a separate three-story coach house with two apartments.
The property includes a marble entrance before magnificent mosaic work, a grand cherry staircase, an elevated ballroom with a bandstand and walk-in cedar coatroom, wine-bar with cellars and a walk-in safe used during prohibition to store various alcohols.
The property also features an atrium, Baroque ornamentation on the ceilings and walls, rich hardwood floors and a full driveway circling the main building providing access to the coach house. The house also stored several exceptional stained glass windows by Louis Tiffany. One of the windows is prominently on display in the Chicago History Museum. The house has been ornamented with various exotic woods ranging from mahogany and cherry to gorgeous bird’s eye maple.
The listing agent is Mary Bennett of Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices KoenigRubloff.